If you are someone who dreads their face washing routine because you just know that something will make your skin get red or bumpy or blotchy, it’s fair to say that you probably have sensitive skin. You may have had these reactions your whole life, or they may have developed later on, such as after puberty or pregnancy.
Either way, we feel your pain. It can be incredibly frustrating to spend time and money on product after product, only to see the same results. And often the skincare items that claim to be for sensitive skin are not.
With all the options on the market, it can be confusing and overwhelming to choose appropriate beauty products for yourself. It seems that everyone has a line designed for sensitive skin. But what do you really need to keep your skin feeling its best? Let’s take a look.
First, What Is Sensitive Skin?
Many people believe they have sensitive skin if they have a reaction to a product or don’t like how something makes their skin feel. From a dermatologist’s point of view, however, there are specific issues that warrant a diagnosis of sensitive skin:
- Very dry skin that does not adequately protect nerve endings, leading to skin reactions
- Tendency to experience skin flushing easily and randomly
- Frequent skin bumps or blotchiness due to skin erosion
Skin sensitivity can develop due to environmental contaminants, eczema, poor gut health, hormone imbalances, aging, and genetic factors such as gender and race. And to make matters more complicated, oily skin and acne-prone skin may also qualify as sensitive.
Although anyone can react to a product, if you are highly-reactive to a wide variety of items and ingredients, you may have sensitive skin.
How Do I Deal With My Sensitive Skin?
Finding products that work well for your sensitive skincare needs can take a little time and maybe some trial and error. But in general, follow these tips for your best results.
- Take it easy. Overly-aggressive rubbing and scrubbing are sure to irritate and damage sensitive skin. Regardless of the products you choose, use very gentle dabbing when applying cleansers and moisturizers. Rinse gently with warm water and pat carefully with a towel to dry.
- Use plant-based ingredients as much as possible in your skincare routine. Many people react to animal products, and those with sensitive skin even more so. A lot of products on the market contain ingredients you might not even recognize as being animal-derived. Consider using a 100% vegan line such as Fountain of Youth Skincare to help your skin heal and maintain its natural beauty. Look for products with certified organic ingredients for optimal results.
- Stay consistent. It can be tempting to try all the newest products to hit the shelves. But changing your skincare routine frequently can irritate your skin with the introduction of different ingredients. Find good-quality products that your skin tolerates and stick with them.
- Keep it simple. If you have sensitive skin, it’s good to minimize the number of products you use on a daily basis. Try just a gentle organic cleanser and face moisturizer in the morning. In the evening, add a serum and eye cream to your routine, in between the cleansing and moisturizing steps.
Your Skin Will Thank You
We know that at times you may feel like there is nothing you can put on your face without it causing a problem. But there’s hope! Follow a simple routine with high-quality plant-based products that can give your skin a chance to heal. Fountain of Youth carries many products formulated for sensitive skin, and we would love to help you find just what you need. Reach out today with any questions you have. We can’t wait to hear from you.